Get Started—Funding to help kids participate (vouchers available online)
What is Get Started?
Get Started is one of three funding programs that comprise the Queensland Government’s Get in the Game initiative to support sport and recreation at the grassroots level.
Get Started assists children and young people who can least afford or may otherwise benefit from joining a sport or recreation club.
Eligible children and young people can apply online for a voucher valued up to $150 online, which can be redeemed at a sport or recreation club registered with Get Started.
The vouchers for eligible children and young people will be available from 9am on 15 January 2013. For further information, refer to the links below.
Who can apply?
The following applicants are eligible for a Get Started voucher:
- children and young people from the age of five and under the age of 18 who hold or whose parent, guardian or carer holds a Centrelink Health Care Card or Pensioner Concession Card and are residents of Queensland
- other children or young people identified by two referral agents (see below).
How do I get a voucher?
A parent, carer or guardian of an eligible child or young person can apply online for a voucher under the first round of the program from 15 January 2013. When applying for a voucher, the following details will be required:
- name, age and date of birth of the child or young person
- name, address, telephone number and email address of the parent, carer or guardian
- a valid Centrelink Health Care Card or Pensioner Concession Card number, or if the child or young person is being referred, the contact details of two referral agents.
If a child is eligible for Get Started, they are not guaranteed a voucher. The funding will be distributed in two rounds each year on a first come, first served basis. Once the allocation for each round is exhausted, the program will close and no further vouchers will be offered for that round.
Before applying for a voucher, it is recommended that you read the Frequently Asked Questions for Parents, Carers and Guardians and the terms and conditions for the use of the voucher before applying.
Once you have read through the information about the voucher and discussed membership requirements with your local sport or recreation club, you can proceed to apply online. You will be able to apply for a voucher from 9am 15 January 2013.
It is recommended that you:
- use a personal computer or laptop to apply (the online voucher application system does not support IOS or Android devices)
- have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed (as a minimum) on your computer (Adobe Acrobat Reader is free and can be downloaded here)
- have access to a printer to be able to print the voucher to present it to the local club.
Apply for a voucher here
Do not use an IOS or Android device. Your application will be unsuccessful.
If you need help applying for a voucher, watch the You Tube video.
Please note that in order to apply, you will need the details listed above.
Having trouble connecting?
The online voucher application processing system cannot handle an unlimited number of applications simultaneously. If you are unable to connect to the application processing system please retry by clicking again on the link above. If still unsuccessful, please try again later.
I already have a voucher. How do I access it again?
Go to https://qgrants.osr.qld.gov.au, log in and click on the ‘Applications tab’.
Who are referral agents for Get Started?
Referral agents are people holding certain positions in the community who can assist with identifying children and young people who would most benefit from participating in sport or recreation activities, and from assistance with the payment of membership and/or participation fees.
To be a referral agent, a person must hold one of the positions in the community designated by the department. To find out more, refer to the link below.
Information for clubs
Registering your club for the program
Registered clubs redeeming a voucher
Registered clubs will be able to redeem vouchers online for amounts up to $150 related to membership and/or participation fees for eligible children and young people. Clubs must be registered for Get Started before accepting vouchers. If the club is not registered, refer to the information above.
For further information on redeeming vouchers, refer to Information for sport and recreation clubs.
Need further information?
If you require further information on Get Started, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact a local Sport and Recreation Services office on 1300 656 191.